PREP FOOTBALL: Weber posts second consecutive shutout with win over Northridge

Friday , September 08, 2017 - 10:35 PM

CHAD PRITCHETT, Standard-Examiner Correspondent

LAYTON — By the time Northridge literally summoned a player out of the stands to suit up, this one was over.

After allowing 82 points over the first two weeks of the season, Weber posted their second consecutive shutout with a 33-0 thumping of Northridge on Friday evening.

Following early injuries to quarterbacks Jackson Murphy and Boston Musgrave, the Knights finished the first half with running back Brevin Perkins taking the snaps. At halftime, sophomore Colby Browning was called upon to don the pads, but no matter who the quarterback was, the Weber defense was unrelenting all game.

“Our defense stepped up big again,” Weber (3-1, 2-0 Region 1) quarterback Austin Bartholomew said. “I think we kind of put it away in the first half. It’s always nice to do that and we were just trying to run the clock out in the second half.

“I think last week was a huge momentum swing for our defense with our first shutout this year. They just played phenomenal and I think tonight was carry over from that.”


STORY & PHOTOS: Reeling Roy batters Bonneville 49-20
STORY: Fremont tops Layton in Region 1 contest
ROUNDUP: Ogden ends 36-game losing streak, defeats Carbon

The game was chippy from start to finish, with close to 30 penalties being called. At halftime, Weber head coach Matt Hammer and Northridge defensive coordinator Jason Duckworth were ejected following a verbal skirmish as the two squads made their way to the locker room. Needless to say, the teams elected to forgo the postgame handshake line.

Weber’s offense was clicking in the first half. Pierce Callister punched through a 28-yard field goal on Weber’s opening drive to start things off.

Northridge (2-2, 1-1) had a chance to tie late in the first quarter, but its 42-yard field goal attempt was blocked.

After Murphy left the game with a concussion, Weber exploded for a 21-point second quarter. Bartholomew connected with Sione Moa for an 8-yard score. Then, Bartholomew found Hudson Schenck on two long pass plays in the final 3:48 of the half.

Schenck made a fantastic 33-yard catch in the back of the end zone amidst defenders, then, following a Northridge punt, he found himself with a wide-open touchdown reception on a 27-yard pass to make it 24-0 at the half.

“(Schenck) is a fantastic receiver,” Bartholomew said. “He always gets open. He’s super shifty. He has great hands. I can’t say enough about him.”

In the second half, the Warriors tacked on a safety as an errant Northridge snap on a punt sailed out of the back of the end zone.

Finally, senior Colton Jones rumbled in for a 17-yard TD with 1:34 to play to cap the scoring.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.